Reflections

Reflections

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Adjust or Confront


Often times in life I am faced with the dilemma on how best to respond. When facing a difference in opinion should I stick to my views and values or should I adjust with the others. Would adjusting with others mean that I am comprising my values? Or should I stick to my own gun, have my own thoughts and always do things my own way.

I recently read an article on the importance of assessing a situation and seeing when to use the power to face or confront.

I found the article most useful as a guidance. We don't always have to be correct. We don't always have to be righteous. We need to be able to adjust and co-exist harmoniously in a world where there are many different types of people. But at the same time we should not adjust too much when it goes against what we truly believe in. The article mentioned the following:

We have to discern when to use the power to adjust and when to use the power to face or confront. When it comes to difference of opinion and ways of working, we need to adjust with others, not confront them. But when there is abuse, exploitation or compromise of values and principles, we need to confront, not adjust.

Picture source: Internet
Hope this helps you, as much as it helps me, as we face similar dilemmas living in a complex world.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment